The National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators promotes the highest professional standards in legal interpreting. Professional legal interpreting is required to ensure due process, equal protection and equal access to the administration of justice for non-English or limited English proficient (LEP) individuals. Judiciary interpreters work in court settings, but also out of court, when the proceedings may have legal consequences. For example, professional legal interpreters are required for accurate interpretation during depositions, administrative hearings or attorney-client interviews. Professional legal interpreters are also used in law enforcement investigations, or in the review, transcription and translation of recorded evidence.
NAJIT members include judiciary interpreters and translators, as well as conference, community and medical interpreters. NAJIT boasts a growing number of interpreters who work between English and American Sign Language (ASL), and counts among its members judicial officers and administrators, language service providers, academics and interpreting and translation students. While most of our membership resides in the U.S, some members live and work in Latin America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Anyone with an interest in the field of legal interpreting and translating or who shares NAJIT's interests and objectives is welcome to join.
- August 21, 2015 - An important announcement from the Board of Directors.
- July 17, 2015 - read about important changes at NAJIT's HQ.
- July 9, 2015-- NAJIT Members: The newest edition of Proteus is now out! Check out the 2015 Summer Volume XXVIII, No. 2 Proteus today! Remember, you must be a NAJIT member and logged into your account to view Proteus.
- June 12, 2015-- Calling all volunteers! Are you looking to become more involved in NAJIT? Did the 2015 Annual Conference inspire you to help change and shape this association, and the profession as a whole? Volunteer for one of NAJIT's committees! Three committees are currently looking for volunteers: the Advocacy Committee, the Nominations Committee, and the Blog Sub-Committee. Read each description, and volunteer today!
- June 12, 2015-- In this week's NAJIT blog post, Janis Palma details the fact that when the role of an interpreter became more and more defined, professionals started to also define the standards and protocols that one should or should not follow. Make sure to read this week's NAJIT blog post here, and remember the importance of respecting the profession and the standards and protocols that come with it!
- June 5, 2015-- In this #FlashbackFriday NAJIT blog post, Jennifer de la Cruz lists out some steps in completing the goal of being an unobtrusive piece of furniture in the court room. Have you read it yet? Is there anything you could add, or do you have your own thoughts? Read today here, and share your thoughts and any steps you would like to add in the comments section of the blog!
- May 29, 2015-- Janis Palma used this week's NAJIT blog post to share her notes from one of the sessions she attended, a panel- "Tough Crowd: Interpreting for Bilingual Attorneys and Judges." The panelists, all from different parts of the country, shared their experiences and stories, and Janis was able to jot down the best of their advice. Check out her notes on this week's NAJIT blog post here, and share what you think! If you weren't able to attend this session, this blog post is a must-read!
- May 27, 2015-- NAJIT's 2015 Annual Conference was May 15-17 in Atlanta, GA. Over 200 professionals attended, and were greeted with an array of different educational sessions, and warm southern hospitality. Athena Matilsky attended, and in this week's NAJIT blog post, she shares not only her thoughts on that excellent sessions, but the feeling of being apart of something bigger and stronger than she could've imagined. Did you attend the NAJIT Annual Conference and have the same feeling as Athena? Read Athena's whole post today here, and see if you can relate! More importantly, have you joined NAJIT? Join today here-and become apart of something bigger than you. And become involved! The NAJIT blog is is always looking for new bloggers- email email@example.com to find out more details!
- May 8, 2015-- Do you have any tips for someone who may be in a rut with the exam? What experiences do you have? Read Athena Matilsky's whole NAJIT blog post here, and see her tips for success! Make sure to share some of your own! Anything would be better than complaining!
- May 1, 2015-- What do you think about all of the social media in the profession? From tweets, to blogging, to personal websites, it can get a little overwhelming! Do you have any tricks to keep up, or to comb through all of the information that gets posted? Read Jennifer De La Cruz's #FlashbackFriday NAJIT blog post from 2013 today here, and share your thoughts with your colleagues!
- May 1, 2015-- Congratulations to our Susan E. Castellanos-Bilodeau Scholarship winner: Melissa Fridlin-Murrell! We are looking forward to meeting her at the 2015 NAJIT Annual Conference!
- April 24, 2015--Athena Matilsky asks us the question, "How can I be a great interpreter?" Read this week's NAJIT blog post today here, and see what Athena means when she says "Save the interpreting for last"! Comment/share what you think!
- April 17, 2015-- In this week's NAJIT blog post, Maria Teresa reflects on her journey to becoming an interpreter- through rigorous courses and examinations, and how she took on a new experience in hopes to learn even more. Read Maria Teresa's whole NAJIT blog post today here, and comment your thoughts on her continuous learning experience! Do you have an experience similar to Maria Teresa's? Make sure to share with your colleagues!
- April 10, 2015-- This week's NAJIT blog post was originally posted by Gio Lester in 2012. However, it is just as timely now as it was a few years back. Read the blog post here, and comment and share any advice you have for your colleagues!
- April 3, 2015-- This week's NAJIT blog post features a #FlashbackFriday by Jennifer de la Cruz! Check it out here!
- March 31, 2015-- NAJIT Members: The newest edition of Proteus is now out! Check out the 2015 Spring XXVIII, No. 5 Proteus today! Remember, you must be a NAJIT member and logged into your account to view Proteus.
- January 21, 2015-- AOCs: Can't find an interpreter with the right credentials in our Directory? Have a special need? If your court needs an interpreter and can't find one, we are happy to help! Just fill out the form found on our website here, and NAJIT will post your needs directly on all of NAJIT's social media, as well as email it out to our entire membership and colleagues.