The National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators' mission is to promote quality services in the field of legal interpreting and translating. Our members play a critical role in ensuring due process, equal protection and equal access for non-English or limited English proficient (LEP) individuals who interact with the judicial system.
As of 2011, membership in the National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators totals over 1200 professionals , and includes practicing spoken language judiciary interpreters and translators, as well as those who interpret or translate in other settings, judges, Ph.D. linguists, educators, researchers, students, administrators, and managers of non-profit community language bureaus and for-profit language agencies. NAJIT boasts a growing number of interpreters who work between English and American Sign Language (ASL). While most of our membership resides in the U.S, some members live and work in Latin America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Anyone with an interest in the field of judiciary interpreting and translating or who shares NAJIT's interests and objectives is welcome to join.
- August 19, 2014-- NAJIT Members: Are you interested in social media, marketing, and/or outreach? We are looking for passionate volunteers for the PR Committee! Click here to read the description of the committee, and volunteer today! Remember- you must be a NAJIT member to volunteer.
- August 18, 2014 -- Holly Mikkelson's training was one for the books! Did you miss it? Read all about it on this week's NAJIT blog here. Make sure to comment/discuss what you may have learned or any questions you may have!
- August 11, 2014 -- Gio Lester explains how she ensures accurate and quality service in the courtroom in this week's blog post here. Check it out, and share some of your tips and tricks to excellent service!
- August 4, 2014 -- Social media in the courtroom raises many new questions for interpreters and translators. For instance, what is the protocol on translating a text message written in short hand? Read this week's blog post here, and share your thoughts on the social media challenge!
- July 25, 2014 -- Being invisible is the goal of a court interpreter- and it's not easy! Catch up on this week's blog post here, and read Janis Palma's insight on the art of becoming invisible in the court room.
- July 18, 2014 -- Read this week's blog post here to find out all the great information Kevin Mercado learned from a training session he attended last Saturday.
- July 11, 2014 -- Volunteers are what keep organizations like NAJIT functioning. Read this week's blog post here, and remember- it is YOUR passion that NAJIT needs to thrive!
- July 7, 2014 -- As we have seen in the World Cup, there is quite the controversy regarding the meanings of particular words yelled from the stands. Read this week's blog post here, and let us know how you handle the challenges of interpreting today's modern "impolite" language.
- July 2, 2014-- Are you looking for a way to become more involved with NAJIT? The Membership Committee is currently seeking volunteers! Click here to read the description of the committee, and volunteer today. Remember- you must be a NAJIT member to volunteer.
- June 27, 2014 -- Do you still feel the thrill of interpreting? Read this week's blog post here, and you will find out that even after 11 years, some people still love every second of their job.
- June 24, 2014-- Calling all volunteers! We are now looking for NAJIT members to volunteer for the Public Relations Committee and the Blog Subcommittee. Click here to read the description for the Public Relations Committee, and here for the Blog Subcommittee, and volunteer today. And remember- you must be a NAJIT member to volunteer.
- June 20, 2014 -- When you interpret, how much of an "actor" do you become? Click here to read the latest post on the NAJIT blog and find out more about the power of the inflected voice.
- June 13, 2014 -- Click here to read the latest post on the NAJIT blog and learn how to avoid "false friends."
- June 12, 2014-- Interested in being a part of the Bench and Bar Committee? We are looking for volunteers now! Click here to read the description of the committee, and volunteer today. Remember- you must be a NAJIT member to volunteer.
- June 11, 2014-- NAJIT members- We are looking for volunteers for the Advocacy Committee and the Conference Committee! Click here to read the description of each committee, and volunteer today. Remember- you must be a NAJIT member to volunteer.
- June 6, 2014 -- Click here to read the latest post on the NAJIT blog.
- May 18, 2014 -- NAJIT Elects a new chair and officers! Congratulations to Esther Navarro-Hall, NAJIT Chair, Claudia Villalba, NAJIT Secretary, and Bethany Korp, NAJIT Treasurer!
- May 19, 2014 -- NAJIT elects new board members. Congratulations to Jennifer De La Cruz and Melinda Gonzalez-Hibner, NAJIT's newest board members. Bethany Korp was relected for a second term. Click here to see a listing of the new Board of Directors.
- March 27, 2014-- NAJIT supports the Department of Justice’s ongoing initiative to require state judiciary systems to provide interpreters for all parties, witnesses, and victims, and others who come in contact with the courts, regardless of their ability to pay. Click here to read it.
- January 27, 2014--If you haven't gotten a chance to read the newest edition of Proteus here it is! 2014 Winter Volume XXIIII, No. 3.