THE BENEFITS OF BECOMING A NAJIT MEMBER
NAJIT's activities are supported by membership dues and member donations. While there are no formal requirements for joining other than an interest in legal interpreting and/or translation, most of our members hold professional credentials such as federal and/or state court interpreter certification, national judiciary interpreter and translator certification by NAJIT, interpreter certification by RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf), translator certification by ATA (American Translators Association), approval by the US Department of State (for escort, seminar or conference interpreting) and/or other credentialing by government agencies or international organizations.
Anyone who shares NAJIT's interests and objectives is welcome to join. Our membership categories are: Active, Associate, Corporate and Corporate Sponsor, Organizational and Student. Please see description of membership categories and fees below. The benefits of membership are many. When you join, you will enjoy, among other things:
- Full Listing in NAJIT’s Online Membership Directory (Active Members and Corporate Members only),
- Subscription to Proteus, NAJIT’s quarterly newsletter dedicated to court interpretation and legal translation)
- Participation in NAJIT’s lively and informative members’ listserv where members share expertise, information and resources, exchange terminology, discuss transcription and translation standards, and confer on ethical and professional dilemmas and association matters,
- Access to reduced-rate language specific interpreting and translation skills-building workshops in Spanish and other languages, including certification testing preparation courses,
- Reduced-rate access to required continuing education sessions,
- Access to reduced-priced professional liability insurance,
- Reduced-rate registration for NAJIT conferences, regional and local workshops,
- Subscription to CyberNews, NAJIT’s automatic email updates on training opportunities, meetings and other matters of professional interest,
- Opportunity to volunteer for the American Red Cross in the event of a disaster,
- NAJIT Position Papers on topics of critical interest to the profession,
- Electronic access to NAJIT publications, including archived materials available in the Members' Only area of the webpage,
- The use of a special NAJIT logo on your business card,
- Right to vote and hold office (Active members only),
- Opportunities for committee membership and participation in NAJIT special projects,
- Opportunity to chair committees and be actively involved in NAJIT decision-making and long-term planning,
- Active involvement in state and national legislative matters and issues affecting the interpreting and translating community,
- Opportunity to present at NAJIT conferences, workshops and training events,
- Networking and collegial relationships, and
- Access to employment opportunities posted on the website and through special bulletins.
Dues may be deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense to the extent permitted under IRS Code.
MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES AND DUES
Suggested voluntary contribution to the Society for the Study of Translation and Interpretation, Inc. (Fully Tax-Deductible)
|$140||$50||$110||$180||$400 or $260|
Description of Pertinent (Dues-Paying) Membership Categories
An Active Member shall be any person engaged in the remunerated practice of judiciary interpreting and/or translation.
A Student Member shall be any person engaged in full-time studies as defined by the Membership Committee.
An Associate Member shall be any person who shares NAJIT's interests.
An Organizational Member shall be any public or private educational institution, governmental entity, library, or nonprofit corporation with an interest in judiciary interpreting and/or translation. In such cases, membership shall be in the name of the organization, not in the name of its representative. One representative of each Organizational Member shall be entitled to attend NAJIT-sponsored events at the member rate.
(E) Corporate and Corporate Sponsor
A Corporate Member shall be any for-profit business entity with an interest in judiciary interpreting and/or translation. In such cases, membership shall be in the name of the corporation, not in the name of its representative. One representative of each Corporate Member shall be entitled to attend NAJIT-sponsored events at the member rate.
The application can be found here.
Need more information? Contact us.